Saturday, July 23, 2011

RIP Amy Winehouse

I remember the first time I heard "Rehab" by Amy Winehouse on BBC Radio1. The retro sound and unique voice got my attention. I searched and searched for the song and the album, but no luck. This was before Amy's music came to the US, and I hated that I had to wait for months to buy it. Any time that "Rehab" played on Radio1, I smiled and turned it up as loud as I could. Once it hit the iTunes store, I bought the album and loved it. Loved it.

While "Rehab" made me notice her, her single "Back to Black" made me a fan.



Her whole album made me feel like a woman again at at time when I was surrounded by preschool songs and cartoons. The G-rated life I led with two toddlers was draining me, and Amy made me remember that I could still like things that were R-rated, that I could listen to songs with bad words (as long as the kids were asleep or I wore headphones). I made it through many a laundry pile, listening while folding, swaying while ironing. I even caught myself trying her signature thick black eyeliner for a party. A little over-the-top for my usual style, I didn't care. It made me feel good, feel young, feel sexy.

I may have to break out the black eyeliner again.

Rest in peace...

No comments:

Post a Comment